BLT club sandwiches with herb aioli
Makes 2 sandwiches
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 slices white sandwich bread
- 6 to 8 tomato slices
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 8 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 to 6 slices deli turkey or ham
Mix together the mayonnaise, garlic, basil, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest. Set aside.
Next, toast the 6 slices of sandwich bread. Once the bread is cool, place 2 toasted slices of bread on a cutting board. Spread one side of each piece of toast with some of the aioli and then top with 2 to 4 tomato slices. Top the tomato slices with 3 to 4 slices of bacon, then 2 to 4 lettuce leaves.
Next, spread aioli on 2 more slices of toasted bread and place the aioli-dressed side of the bread onto the lettuce leaves.
Add a little more aioli to the top of the toasted bread slices and then layer with another layer of tomato slices, 3 to 4 slices deli turkey or ham, and then 2 to 4 lettuce leaves.
Spread aioli on the last 2 slices of toasted bread and place the aioli-dressed side onto the lettuce leaves. Gently press down on the sandwich and slice each sandwich in half. Insert a toothpick into each half if desired. Wrap each sandwich in wax or parchment paper, or in foil. Let the sandwiches rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
These sandwiches travel well as long as they are snugly wrapped. Remove the toothpick before eating.
french-style potato salad
- 1 pound small red or yellow potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and then simmer the potatoes on low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Drain the potatoes and add them to a bowl. Halve the potatoes once they are cool.
Whisk together the chives, parsley, dill, mustard, capers, lemon zest, minced garlic, vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss the vinaigrette with the potatoes and then check for seasoning. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. These potatoes can be made a day in advance and held in the refrigerator.
boozy fruit salad
- 1 cup white wine (something you would sip)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint raspberries
- ½ quart strawberries, tops trimmed and halved
- 1 cup halved green grapes
- 1 to 2 mangoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- Fresh mint, for garnish
Add the white wine and sugar to a small pot and heat on medium-low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Cool the wine.
Add the fruit to a bowl and gently toss the fruit with the wine. Refrigerate in a tight-lidded container for at least 30 minutes and then toss before serving. Garnish with fresh mint.